This article will guide you, if you want to know how to link your Mpesa and PayPal accounts or to top-up your PayPal account using Mpesa and even how to withdraw money from your PayPal account to Mpesa account.
About Mpesa and PayPal
Launched in 2007 by Safaricom, Mpesa is arguably the most used service in Kenya. Over the years, Safaricom Mpesa has partnered with many stakeholders to improve its services to customers. One such stakeholder is PayPal.
PayPal partnered with Safaricom in 2018 to provide services such as transfer of money from Mpesa to PayPal and vice versa. The company accepts 25 different currencies, so you need not worry about going to the bank to convert the money. But before you start enjoying Paypal Mpesa services, you need to have an eligible Kenyan PayPal account, a Mpesa registered number and have the two accounts linked.
How do I link my Mpesa number with my PayPal account?
The process of linking your Mpesa number to PayPal is easy as long as the details of the two accounts match. Before you start the process of linking ensure that your PayPal account is registered in Kenya, otherwise the process will not be successful.
Also, ensure the name that appears in your PayPal profile is the same as the name that is on your registered Mpesa number. If the names differ, then the linking process might not get through. Having confirmed that, you are now ready to link your Mpesa to PayPal.
How to link Mpesa to PayPal
Below is a procedure on how to connect your Mpesa and PayPal accounts.
- Click the link https//www.PayPal.mobilemoney.com/Mpesa.
- Log in to your PayPal account and click Get started. Note, you have to log in using the email address you used to register when opening PayPal account.
- Allow the Transfer To service to link your accounts.
- Enter the Mpesa number you wish to link. Ensure that the number you are linking is registered with Mpesa and the name registered on the number is the one appearing on your PayPal account.
- You will receive a verification code sent to the number entered above. Enter the code to link your accounts. The code is one time meaning you will receive only once.
After following the above procedure, your accounts are now linked, and you can enjoy sending and withdrawing money from the two accounts.
How do I deposit money to my PayPal account using Mpesa?
Having linked the two accounts, the next step you may need to know is how to top up your PayPal account. Use 800088 as a business number when topping up. Topping up your PayPal account is a straightforward procedure, all you need to do is follow the process outlined below, and you are good to go.
How to top up/ deposit to your PayPal account
- Open your PayPal account and click the top-up button.
- Enter the amount of money you wish to deposit into your account. The amount is usually in US dollars, but there is a “calculator” which you can use to convert between different currencies. Use the calculator to calculate the amount in Kenyan shillings you will have to deposit.
- Go to your sim toolkit to access Mpesa services.
- Select the Lipa Na Mpesa option.
- Click PayBill and enter 800088 as the business number.
- Enter your phone number, which is used as your account number in this case. Ensure the phone number you entered is the same number you linked with your PayPal account.
- Enter your Mpesa PIN and press OK to finalize the transaction.
Topping up your PayPal account via Mpesa is charged a 4 per cent interest rate on every deposit. The rate is higher than when you are withdrawing because of using the PayBill number, which has transactions costs.
For example, if you want to deposit $200, you’ll be charged $8 as the service fee (4%). Therefore, your PayPal account will be credited with $192 after Ksh 88 is deducted as pay bill fees. It will take four hours for your deposit to complete, but in most cases, the money reflects in your account almost immediately.
How do I withdraw money from PayPal to my Mpesa account?
If you’ve done some business transactions using PayPal, but you’re wondering how to withdraw your money, worry no more because we have you covered.
How to withdraw money from PayPal to Mpesa
- Log in to your PayPal account and click the withdraw button.
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw in US dollars. Note you can only withdraw the amount reflecting in your account balance and nothing more. For instance, if you have been paid using PayPal and the money has not reflected in your account, you will have to wait for it to reflect before withdrawing. After the conversion of currencies, you will be shown the amount you will receive in Kenyan shillings.
- Click the confirm button to complete the transaction. After a successful withdrawal, the amount will be credited to your Mpesa account. The waiting time after withdrawing starts from 2 hours to three days depending with the amount withdrawn.
All drawings to Mpesa are charged a 3 per cent interest rate on the amount withdrawn. This, therefore, means that if you want to withdraw let’s say $200, your Mpesa account will be credited with $194 after $6 is deducted as service fees.
The waiting time after withdrawing varies from two hours to three days. This is a relief to many compared to when withdrawing using a bank which takes three working days. If your PayPal balance is in another currency other than the US dollar, you’ll have to convert it to US dollars before doing any transaction as PayPal transacts using US dollars.
With the partnership between Mpesa and PayPal, online money transfer is now fast and secure. We’ve seen how to link your Mpesa and the PayPal account and also how to deposit/withdraw money from the two accounts. Always remember to use 800088 as the business number when depositing money to your PayPal.